Monday, August 19, 2013

Preparations Done, Now to Wait...

My preparations are complete!
Just yesterday (August 19) was the start of web registration period for all inbound exchange students, so I was able to revise my school schedule a little bit. Now I can relax and wait until I can move into the dorms!

Registration Process
After finding out that I was going to City University of Hong Kong, I received an email (shown above) with my login information to complete their online application form. Overall, the application process is very easy as they give you step-by-step instructions on what you need to submit. The only part that troubled me was the "course planning" section because I had to submit 10 courses they offered in the system before I could submit and complete my application.
As seen above, these were the 10 classes I chose. Make sure that the classes you choose are approved for transfer credits. You can get a handout with CityU courses that are equivalent to the courses offered in UH from either Darrell or Sara from MIX, or go to Shidler if you are a business major. I am very glad Rikki was able to help me through this process. You can also submit a petition form if you find a course offered in CityU that isn't listed on the handout, but teaches the same material as a course you need in UH for transfer.
On July 5th, I received an email regarding which of the 10 courses were approved and enrolled for me for the upcoming semester. From this, they will build a draft schedule of your classes.
On July 29th, I received an email to complete the "Online Pre-enrollment Process". Through this part you will activate your electronic ID (EID), so that you can login to your student account for CityU. You will also be asked to submit a picture of yourself to be processed on your Student ID. Once you have created your EID, you can login to see the pre-made schedule of classes the university has enrolled you in for the upcoming semester.
School on a Saturday...Yay...
Once your EID is created, you can login to see the pre-made schedule of classes the university has enrolled you in for the upcoming semester. If you like your schedule, you don't have to do anything and just wait until school starts. If you would like to add/drop a course, you have to wait until 2 weeks prior  (8/19) to the first day of school (9/2) to make any changes.

Housing
As for housing, you will receive an email around the beginning of April to apply for Student Housing and create a PIN. In the beginning of June, you will know whether or not you received Student Residence (I chose the 3-Person apartment unit). In Mid-August, you will receive which hall and room you will stay in.

**I'm sorry if I cannot provide information on applying for Student Visa because I am a Hong Kong citizen, so I do not need one.

Packing
Although I am already in Hong Kong, I do not advise packing a too much because you will shop a lot in Hong Kong.
Things I packed:

  • 2 weeks worth of clothes
  • Toiletries
  • My Mac and electronics
  • Unlocked phone
  • Jacket (in case of rain or when it gets cold)
For the most part, Hong Kong is VERY HOT in the summer. So you will not need a lot of clothes until maybe mid-October or November. Once it comes closer to Winter, you'll want to go shopping for new clothes so...DO NOT BRING TOO MUCH. If you want, you can bring other essentials like...bed sheets? or a pillow? But there are shopping malls nearby the university for you to purchase any other necessities.

No comments:

Post a Comment